Welcome to the online book discussion for the Elisabeth Elliot's classic account of the love story the Lord wrote for her life. In her book, Passion and Purity, she walks readers down the path she took in learning to trust the Lord first and foremost in her life. She emphasizes the need to commit daily to Christ all matters of the heart and to wait upon Him. Grab a copy of this book, read along, and join in the discussion as we all learn from the example of a faithful couple surrendered to the Spirit's leadership and Father's plan.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Week Three: Chapters 13-19

Hello ladies! I hope that all of you are enjoying this book and learning from it as much as I am. I was so excited that Hannah decided to do this. This is my third time to read this book, but I seem to learn many new truths each time I read it. It's amazing how certain things will jump out as I read, that never would have seemed important to me last time I read it.

Now, to introduce myself. My name is Allyson Basden and I graduated this past May from Mississippi State University with a degree in Psychology. The theme of my life this past year has certainly been 2 Corinthians 5:7: "For we walk by faith, not by sight." The Lord has been changing my plans a lot recently, but I believe he has been doing that to teach me to surrender to Him completely. This past summer I worked at Camp Ridgecrest and had a blast doing that. I am currently living at home in Birmingham, AL and working at a local coffee shop. While I really miss all of my school friends, it has been a good transition and I am learning to be content with where I am for now.

I feel led to attend Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in North Carolina and I am planning on starting school there in August. As I said earlier though, I am truly realizing that God can change my plans at any time. I am hoping to get a degree in Biblical Counseling. I love people and I am trusting that God will continue to show me exactly where He wants me in life so that I can best glorify Him.

So that you understand where I am coming from with these questions, a guy I was dating recently broke things off with me. We had no been dating very long, but he had seemed to pursue me the right way and was a strong believer. I realize now that I probably gave my heart over to him too quickly. After things ended, I was first upset and confused, but God was quick to show me that He is sovereign over everything. He allowed this relationship to begin and end and I am trusting that He has something else for me now and someone else for me now...so needless to say, this study could not have come at a better time. Okay, enough about me...Here are your questions :)


Discussion Questions:
1). On page 76-77, Elizabeth Elliot speaks of a woman who was in a relationship with a man she really cared for, but suddenly he decided to end things with her and go back to someone he had been dating previously. This girl says, The Lord has brought about growth in me through knowing him, something I cannot regret, though there have been times when I wished I'd never met him. I have to give Him to the Lord regularly...But he has brought me this far and already my joy is unspeakable." Can you relate to this woman? What advice do you have in dealing with bitterness from past relationships?

2). One of my favorite Jim Elliot quotes is on page 80:"Wherever you are, be all there, live to the hit every situation you believe to be the will of God." How can you apply this to your life right now and truly practice contentment?

3). On page 89, Elizabeth Elliot says, "A little quiet reflection will remind me that yes to God always leads in the end to joy." I know this true but I struggle sometimes with fully believing this statement and acting upon it. Can you relate? Also, what scripture can you find that support this statement?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I do relate to this woman on some levels with some past relationships. Sometimes I am able to have the positive outlook like she does, other times I am like her second statement "I wished I'd never met him." It wasn't until this past May that I really began dealing with bitterness from past relationships. I had a misconception that forgiving someone and trusting them again are two totally separate ideas and issues. After reading "The Gift of Forgiveness" by Charles Stanley I realized that true forgiveness means treating them as if nothing bad had ever happened, whether that is to their face or in thoughts about them. I recommend to "forgive and forget" so that you are not thinking negative thoughts about the person. Afterall, through Christ we have been completely forgiven and God sees us as perfect, holy, and righteous...and I have certainlly done more wrong towards God than any guy has ever done towards me!
    2. As a single woman, knowing this is the will of God for my life right now, I struggle with frequently wishing I had a boyfriend or husband and I try to figure out who is the guy that is gonna come along and sweep me off my feet. In doing this, I miss out on what God has for me right here and now. I can neglect the fellowship with believers or become jealous towards my friends who get married. I realize that this is not contentment and must repent from my covetous heart. I must find my heart so inclined to the Word of God that I recognize His will for my life TODAY, not a year or two down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah! (again.) God used The Gift of Forgiveness book in my life as well, and it really is such a freeing experience to release bitterness, resentment or just that "eek" feeling that was held toward a guy (or anyone) in your past.

    As far as number 3 goes, Briana really encouraged me this week to read Proverbs 16. There are so many verses in there that talk about us making our own plans when the Lord is the Sovereign One. I was encouraged by this chapter, and have been thinking often on "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but the Lord directs His steps." Also, Isaiah 55:8-9. His ways are not our own! I have to preach to myself about His faithfulness in my life when I tend to forget this. I find it helpful to think back on how many times my plans ended only in frustration and disappointment while those of the Lord brought the deepest joy and fulfillment and put me in a situation where He was receiving the glory for my life story.

    ReplyDelete